Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Swings and roundabouts

Can anyone tell me why there are so few swings in France? I've been pondering this one since moving here four years ago. In any self-respecting park in the UK there are children's swings, but frankly I've seen more clean public toilets (no, make that just public toilets) in France than I have kiddies swings. And don't even get me started about the lack of public loos, or the hideousness of what are coyly called Turkish toilets. Believe me, you don't want to go there (literally). But you know what? I'm going to bang on about it. When I was emerging from my second (ahem) confinement, I took my 3 month old baby to Montpellier's American Library www.bibliotheque-americaine.com - a fine facility, housed within a super-modern building that houses (I think) the Law Faculty libary (or something speccy and serious, along those lines). I figured that this ultra-clean, swishy looking architectural marvel would have clean(ish) toilets and maybe even baby-changing facilities. And I didn't even think about access with a buggy - surely there would be lifts everywhere? Yeah, right. The lifts go to all floors except (wait for it) the basement, which is where the toilets are. You get to the loos by walking down a steep flight of stairs. Brilliant. So once you've got a sulky student to help you haul the buggy-and-babe down the stairs, you find... Turkish toilets. Seriously dirty ones. Yuk. And not a clean, flat surface in sight. Sigh. There I was getting so excited about their fabulous collection of English language books and periodicals, and then I find that the toilets suck, big time. A classic case of swings and roundabouts if ever I saw one.

1 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

You have to negotiate stairs to use the toilets in the airport too. Loaded as one is, with baggage with kids, it seems a strange idea.

I agree about the swings situation. the only place I've noticed thme is in people's gardens, or at the beach at Palavas. I think they are considered too dangerous, as kiddies could get hit as they walk round the back. Strange how there aren't more accidents in the UK...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home