Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Moved To Tears

Just a shortie. Wanted to write about last night's outing to Montpellier's Theatre des Treize Vents www.theatre-13vents.com

Brilliant. A recently built, smart theatre with cosy club armchairs in the foyer, delicious food courtesy of the team from Le Baloard (a restaurant well worth visiting on boulevard Louis Blanc, 04 67 79 36 68) , a small but perfectly formed book stall run by Montpellier's Sauramps store - oh, and great, thought-provoking, contemporary performances on the stage. I saw The Vagina Monologues there earlier this year and loved it. Last night it was September 11, 2001, a piece performed - in English, with French subtitles - by a cast of American actors from the Center for New Performance at CalArts, Los Angeles. You can guess the subject matter. You can guess my reaction (there's a clue in the title).

This is why I love living in the centre of Montpellier, and why I doubt I shall ever move to deepest, darkest rural France. Great big dollops of contemporary culture. Practically on my doorstep. Cinemas that show art house films, in the original version, just one block away from my flat. Bring it on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home